Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Congratulations, America. Have a blintz.

I am giddy. Not only is history being made today, but we celebrated the mark Martin Luther King left on our history with a long weekend, and it was awesome.

Starting from the beginning.

Friday night I made lasagna, using this recipe with several alterations. Instead of sausage and ground beef I used GimmeLean sausage, because I'm a freaking hippy. Also, I used some fresh basil instead of dried because I had it in the fridge.
I do not exaggerate when I say that it was mind-blowingly good. With wine (Chianti, to be specific), and salad: delicious.

Saturday was MTV friend's housewarming/birthday party and it too was mind-blowingly good. Red Bull reps showed up at one point and brought backpacks full of Red Bull with them and then did some def-jam poetry. I kid you not. I also met a f to the abulous gentleman who lives out in the 'burbs near me whose boyfriend is, apparently, a great cook. I don't think he believed me when I said I was planning on moving in with them.

This is a picture of her wall. Some cried Smurf, but I love it to death.


So, very late Saturday night a couple of my fellow guests and I bumbled our way to Brooklyn to snuggle into our gracious host's enormous bed and sleep well into Sunday.
Alas, I'd had some plans that I failed to keep Sunday morning, but my friends cheered me up with a delicious $12 brunch at Harefield Road. $12 for a delicious meal, Barry's Irish Breakfast Tea (or coffee) and a mimosa or bloody Mary= very excited me. Also, the Bloody Marys are perfect: spicy and heavily garnished.

Then it was back to the Boy and Rue, who I missed very much.

Wouldn't you?

Monday morning I was filled with warm, fuzzy, Patriotic feelings and decided there was no better way to celebrate Obama's coming inauguration, Martin Luther King's life and the leftover ricotta than... blintzes. That's right, blintzes.
I use recipes as guidelines, not rules, but my blintzes were a version of these. I made a ricotta/cream cheese blend for filling and substituted Rice Milk (ref. see lasagna, freaking hippy). I also only used 3/4 of a cup of milk, and then 1/2 a cup of seltzer water. This is a good trick for pancakes, too, since it makes them super fluffy and delicious. By the way, I'm a very messy cook.


But they came out well, regardless.

The Boy's mother makes a blueberry compote that we heated and put on top and it is so. good.

Now, of course, it's back to everyday life, but I think it will be a little better since the change we believed in is now, and it's happening. Congratulations, America. Have a blintz.

No comments:

Post a Comment