Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Right. I'm notoriously bad at keeping dates/resolutions/plans etc. but I stumbled across 2008's resolutions a few months ago and... I kept them.
But- out with the old, in with the new! Here are my resolutions for next year.

1) Take a yoga class- I've been dabbling in yoga since I was 11, but never gotten serious. This should be the the year- yoga is good for just about everything. http://www.yogajournal.com/ Odds of following this past February: 75%

2) Read more- I used to read like a fiend all through high school but being an English major in college made it hard to read for pleasure (so. much. Keats). Also, I know I'm about 10 years behind the times but books on tape are amazing! How did I never know this? And they can go right on your iPod now. Odds of following this past February: 60%

3) Go fully organic. I've slowly been switching over- cleaning supplies, food, but now I'm ready to take the big leap into organic cosmetics and everything. Perfumes have been the hardest to track down- every one I've found smells just enough like patchouli or sandalwood to turn me off. Thoughts? Odds of following this one: 45%

4) Be more punctual: I am epically, perpetually tardy. BUT! I have an iPhone now, and it's time to get this under control. We'll see. I have a lifetime of bad time management skills to overturn. Odds of following this at all: slim.

5) Become more financially savvy: I am always surprised by my bank statement. I'm great at filing taxes, and can work my way around the forms but I never know how much money I have or how much I spend. By the way- http://www.mint.com is an amazing resource for the financially challenged like me. They require online banking center passcodes, but they have a solid privacy policy and once they have your information they itemize your expenditures in easy to understand categories. They also have a great iPhone application, and a pretty website.

6) Invest in fashion: Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love cheap digs and will until the day I die but I'd like to start investing in some modern classics. I've cornered the vintage market but I'm starting to see that a gorgeous Lanvin dress (ooooh Alber Elbaz let's be best friends) can sometimes be worth 3 dresses from a cheaper vendor, if only to pass onto your children. What matters is what looks and feels best, and sometimes that might be under $20, but sometimes it's worth the splurge.


No comments:

Post a Comment