Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In Which The Author Becomes a Little Over-Excited With Her iPhone Camera

I went to my grandparents' place in Saratoga Springs this weekend. It was an impromptu trip, but I still found time to take a LOT of pictures.

WARNING: When I say a lot, I mean a lot. This is a long boring entry. Feel free to ignore it.

It is important, I think, to find a place where people make you feel respected as an adult and safe as a child. I am lucky enough to have had that all my life in my grandparents' home.

I don't think I exaggerate when I say that they are some of the mightiest minds of their generation but they've included me in their dinner table conversations since I was too young to deserve it.

Their kitchen is stocked with things like organic olive oil infused with lemon



but my grandmother made me nachos and ramen with blue food coloring when I was a little kid fresh out of my parents' hippie kitchen.

My grandfather reads the New York Times every morning and watches the news every day. He gets up earlier than anyone and makes coffee and sets out breakfast. It is one of my favorite things in the world.


My grandmother is beautiful.

She looks 35, and has always made me feel glamorous, even when I was a distinctly UN-glamorous tomboy kid

I was a skeptical 3 year old


Also, she likes to sew.

She made me a waterproof mermaid dress when I was 7. I wish it still fit.



Their house is full of art and quirky antiques but never feels like a museum.






These are weird.




Their four girls.

My grandfather loves schoolbuses, chimpanzees and foxes. His office is amazing.


A mold of a chimpanzee skull.





He travels a lot.

In short, they are lovely people who live their life in the light.



2 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful post. just lovely. you are so lucky to have grandparents like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like they've let amazing lives and are pretty amazing themselves. It's always good to know we have really special in our lives. =)

    ReplyDelete