Sunday, November 28, 2010

In No Particular Order

A list of women that helped shape and influence me.


1) Patti Smith*

Her book, her songs, her cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit, her self.




2) Carol Burnett

She is the reason I am the way I am. She is the funniest woman on the planet.




3) Tina Fey

Because she is awesome. To see her being awesome, click here.




4) Marilyn Monroe

Recently I've shied away from her because of the sad girls of my generation following in her unsteady footsteps. But she was more than a tragic figure: she was funny, curvy and a brilliant actress.




5) Marlene Dietrich

She was a grandmother when this was taken.
Androgynous sexpot extraordinaire. World's sexiest grandmother.



7) Amelia Earhart

I got an antique piece of luggage from the Amelia Earhart collection, which led to a lengthy Wikipedia binge. The suitcase may need to go through several voodoo anti-jinxing rituals before I'll bring it on a plane, but I'm awfully glad I got to learn so much about this extraordinary woman.




8) Rosa Parks

Did you know she wasn't just pivotal in the Civil Rights movement but also in bringing rapists to justice? Check it out.




9) Holly Golightly

Diamonds, aging, friends. This character inspired the hell out of me from the screen and the page.




10) Eugenie Clark, the Shark Lady

She helped me remember that smart girls are cool in the face of bullies.


Thank you.

*Did I already say that? I'm getting blogger's deja vu.

No comments:

Post a Comment