Thursday, November 19, 2009

Making the Most of It

To be honest, I've never really cared for fall. Here's why.

1) I love, love, love summer and fall simply doesn't measure up. How could it?

2)I've also never been able to shake the feeling that fall is a kind of last gasp, a dying breath of beauty before winter comes and kicks my ass. Which it really, really does.

3) When you're from a rural part of Massachusetts, people from other parts of the country always tell you how beautiful it is, how wonderful autumn is, and how lucky you are to live there. They're right, but it still makes me cranky.

This year, though, I've decided to make the most out of this season. After all, The Boy was born in fall, so it can't be all bad. So, we went pumpkin picking. And got apple cider, and apple cider donuts. And made a fort. It was brilliant.

Pumpkins.

Pumpkins!

Also, I got to wear my new equestrian rain boots. Those are one of those things that might not seem important, but once I got them I saw the light.

Cider. With whiskey. We're from New England- we don't fuck around with rum.

I really, really love forts.

In making the most of fall, we also seem to be discovering a lot about where we live. It's really quite lovely and has things like an old general store that gradually turned into an antique store as the years passed, and a spooky old cemetery that's a great place to be at dusk on Halloween.

There was some really, really old grape soda.



This weekend, I'm thinking a hike and s'mores on our hibachi. Maybe I like fall in New England?

No comments:

Post a Comment